Functions and History
| Officers | History
BACK TO:| Fire Company Organization |
primary objective of the Auxiliary is to provide the Fire Company
with whatever is needed for it to succeed at its mission. The role
of the original Ladies' Auxiliary as suppliers of coffee and refreshments
at the scenes of fires and other major emergencies was an offshoot
ofthe original purpose of the group.In 1989 the Ladies Auxiliary
opened its doors to allow men to join and changedits name to simply,
"Auxiliary." Today the Auxiliary exists in full force
and provides well-appreciated services to the Fire Company, whether
by supporting members at emergencies or participating in important
fund raising activities."
2017 Auxilary President Bev Groga
- President-Bev Grogan
- Vice-President-Trudy Felsmann
- Treasurer-Christina Schrank
- Secretary-Raquel Falotico
- Financial Secretary-Paula Mulvilhill
- Dale Connor
- Trudy Wojciehowski
- Amanda Lynn
Standing: Amanda Lynn, Geri Tilton, Sue McDaniels, Monica Felsmann, Paula Mulvihill, Christine Schrank.
Sitting: Ann Dupree, Trudy Felsmann, Beverly Davis, Ruth Binaco, Raquel Falotico.
The Fair Haven Volunteer Fire
Company Auxiliary was established in the early 1920's at the "Ladies
Auxiliary" and has continued to serve the Fire Company in various
endeavors ever since.
The Ladies' Auxiliary of the Fair
Haven Volunteer Fire Company (now the Fair Haven Volunteer Fire
Company Auxiliary) was originated in the early 1920's and has served
the Fire Company in various endeavors from that time to the present.
Early in 1921, the chief, William
B. Little, Jr., requested that Mayor and Council of Fair Haven approve
the formation of a Ladies' Auxiliary and submitted the names of
six, who would be willing to help organize one. The ladies first
conducted a meeting of their own on Monday, March 7, 1921 with the
following women attending: Addie Cross, Elizabeth Little, Helena
McCarron, Anna Mulvihill, Viola Sickles and Margaret Tobin. At this
meeting, Little appointed officers to serve the Ladies' Auxiliary
until the first of January, 1922. Elizabeth Little was the first
president of this group, and Viola Sickles its first treasurer.
Weekly meetings were held through
most of that spring until the period of charter membership was closed,
which was May 26, 1921. The second meeting of the Auxiliary on March
14 instructed the secretary, Hazel Predmore, to present a copy of
the Constitution and By-Laws for discussion and correction. These
passed the third reading and were adopted on April 21, 1921.
Membership was recruited through
means of a notice placed in the Fair Haven Post Office asking interested
ladies to attend the April 21 meeting. All those who joined the
Auxiliary before May 26 were included as the charter members, who
were: Agnes Allaire, Agnes Butler, Persis Bennett, Beatrice Cook,
Addie Cross, Alexandria Crozier, Alida Davison, Esther Dennis, Josephine
DeWolfe, Ella Doughty, Mary Gran, Ida Henderson, Mabel Johnson,
Dorothy Little, Elizabeth Little, Eva Little, Mary E. Little, Anna
Mahon, Helena McCarron, Angeline Marcellus, Pearl Marcellus, Dorothy
Minton, Mary Minton, Elizabeth Morris, Helen Mosley, Anna Mulvihill,
Grace Near, Elizabeth Parker, Millie Parker, Hazel Predmore, Rachel
Rankin, Elizabeth Scowcroft, Addie Smith, Etta Smith, Hattie Smith,
Gladys Taylor, Lydia Taylor and Margaret Tobin.
The primary objective of the Auxiliary
was to give the company whatever aid was needed by means of worthwhile
projects, etc. The role of the Ladies' Auxiliary as suppliers of
warm coffee and refreshments at fires was an offshoot of the original
purpose of the group.
In May, 1921, the Ladies' Auxiliary
held their first fund raising event which was a clam chowder supper.
The proceeds of $59.90 were realized from this event, the first
of many such affairs by this fine and dedicated unit. Included within
this category were the numerous dinners and fairs which involved
the Auxiliary's help.